Ok, so Christmas and New Year's have come and gone, and...well, who really wants any sort of itemized list? Let's just say I did well...if my broken home is good for anything, it's gotta be presents. I received an unprecedented amount of pants from both parents, and three new purses-- these people know what I like (and yes, I am aware of the large amounts of both pants and purses I possess. Oh, alliteration. I couldn't resist.)
Lessee, to be brief about the good ole Christmas...Christmas Eve was spent at Dan's Uncle Tony and Auntie Pat's (hurray for boisterous Italians!) and then at Peachy and Sebastien's (hurray for the French, and all their champagne!). Stayed up all too late, woke up all to early, and did the whole present thing with Mom, Dan, and Ryan. Went to Dad's at noon, and did the whole present thing all over again. Stayed in the 209 until Sunday, went to a 60th anniversary party for Al and Kay (my uncle's parents), which was mostly astounding. Lots of old people, and...ok, I confess, I spent most of the night with my (favorite! gay! hilarious!) Uncle Bill and my (something! something else! and a third nonexistent adjective!) Aunt Michelle, out on the patio by the bar, both of them smoking and drinking (overheard: "Should we buy Megan a drink? Do you want a cigarette, honey?" Not to worry, I declined both).
Back here for New Year's, spent at la casa de Riller (is there any other kind of New Year's Eve, ever?)...I got to be the designated driver, Mom and Sonia got drunk and silly, Dan and Mark smoked cigars. Some things never change. So now it's 2003. Do I feel any different? Nope, but then again, who really ever does, after the last digit of the year changes...? Oh, and of course there aren't any New Year's resolutions...I DID, however, go to the gym with Mom on New Year's Eve (day...) and I'm going tomorrow. But only because I've got to get up early to get a cavity filled. Otherwise, I scoff at fitness! (Psst...what is the sound of scoffing?) Well, maybe it might be nice to be toned. I bought a Shape magazine, and it can only be downhill from here...bleah.
And, so this doesn't just become some laundry list of "I did this, I did that..." I have to include something that I've been thinking about, not just stupid, mostly inconsequential stuff that happens. I'm SO ready to go back to school. That's it. I am. Sure, there's stuff that's annoying there, but...I get to have this LIFE, which is more than I can say for what usually happens here. I have much more of a sense of purpose and independence in LA, that terrible urban wasteland. Oh, and I miss all (ok, most) of the people there...Michelle (the first best roommate!), Andy, Brian, Michael, Mark, Gemma, Jenny, Patrick...I know there are more, but you get the idea.
Haha, overheard at a dinner near the beginning of vacation. The setting, De Neve dining hall. The cast, the usual gang of D7ites and myself, and Candice, who was gracious enough to join us. And now, folks, the show...
Michael: So do you think he'll come back a different person?
Me (not hesitating): God, I hope so!
Let's just say that it's a lot funnier if you know who HE is. Ask me if you want to know. See? I DO have my moments of comedy!