Someday we'll know
 

 
This is the story of a girl...
 
 
   
 
Sunday, January 12, 2003
 
And now I've been back for a week...joyjoyjoy. This week has seemed at times almost incomprehensibly long, and I think that's because I've been busier than I have at any other time (since I've been here, at least).

Of course there are classes: Astro 3, French 41, Women's Studies 10, and a Fiat Lux on urban legends. Only big problems so far? The TA for Astro is the most inarticulate person that I've ever seen even ATTEMPTING to pose as any sort of instructor, and last Thursday in the French lecture (french cinema and culture, by the way) I sat through almost FOUR HOURS of French silent film. I wanted to cry. No, I wanted to crumple to the floor, kick, scream, and generally flail, until someone turned off those godawful Melies (sorry, no accents 'cause I'm too lazy) films, of which there were at least twenty. Bright spots? The guy who's the Fiat Lux instructor is the same brand of dorky-cool that George, my English TA last quarter, was...oh, and the prof for Astro is SCOTTISH! Ahh, I could listen to him talk all day (well, ok, probably for a good...three hours)!

Apart from the inevitable classes (wait, this is a...school?)...I've fallen into Greek-dom. Yeah, I...rushed? Yeah, I think that's what it was...for ADPi, the sorority that Kristen's in, and, as far as I can tell, the sorority that's the most normal (because, come ON, there's very little normalcy to be encountered in a house that contains a good 40+ women). Wednesday night was spent at this cute hotel in Santa Monica, Shutters on the Beach, where at least 30 sorority and potential-sorority girls descended on the cafe-lobby and gorged themselves on desserts. Thursday night was at the Hard Rock Cafe in the Beverly Center, where I ordered a pig sandwich (in the company of stereotypically thin sorority chicks, I couldn't resist...and I was joined by this girl Christine, who's already a member. I've got chutzpah! I'm a trendsetter!)...lesson learned: beware of skinny chicks in large groups. They like to do some eatin'! High point: I got a bid! Yep, on Thursday night around midnight, three of the girls, Rachel, Alex, and Genny, gave me the longest rose I'd ever seen and a bid. How exciting! They love me, they really love me!

So now there's just the matter of accepting, so I can technically become a pledge...and Mom is balking at the money. All I have to say about that is..."Stop pretending we're poor! I know your games, lady!" Oh well, everything will end up ok. At least I hope so...

Oh, and to whom it may concern: sometimes I stiffen at too much attention. Don't overdo it, but don't...under-do (?) it either. I'm tricky...and mostly a big pain in the ass. I don't know what to do with all...this.
Comments: Post a Comment

 

 
   
  This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.  

Home  |  Archives